OUR VALUES, OUR MISSION
Crete for Life is a not-for-profit charity independent of any religious or political affiliation that does not discriminate based on race, gender, ethnicity, age, religion or politics.
At Crete for Life, we:
- respect and value diversity
- respect, value and seek to embrace individual and cultural differences in order to promote understanding and an appreciation of these differences
- believe in creating an environment where all children and young adults have the opportunities to be the best they can
- value and encourage collaboration, team work and child/youth led activities
- recognize and value the professionalism, skills, experience and dedication of all our volunteers
- value the support of our donors, volunteers and partners.
“Committed to children in need, working from Crete. Crete for Life is a child focused charity that works on practical projects to make an immediate and lasting impact on children’s lives.”
Since 2005, our main project is an annual restorative, fun filled holiday on Crete for disadvantaged children. We have welcomed children coping with poverty, war, violence and life threatening diseases from Greece, Belarus (those affected by the consequences of the Chernobyl’s catastrophe) Syria, Iraq and from other parts of the world.
Over recent years, in response to the Greek economic crisis and the unprecedented mass migration and refugee crisis, we have also moved into other areas of support:
- Helping refugees and migrants on the island of Crete and elsewhere in Greece, giving priority to unaccompanied minors and those most at risk.
- Supporting Crete’s University Hospital in Heraklion as well as other local hospitals that care for thousands of local and migrant children every year.
- Providing local children whose families & communities have suffered greatly from the economic downturn with practical help, medical assistance and emotional support.